Friday, May 9, 2014

Tomatoes are finally planted

Yesterday and today I planted tomatoes, eggplants, peppers and cucumbers. Efrain and I enjoyed our first radish yesterday.

I planted Bell Peppers next to the Collard Greens. The pepper seedlings were outgrowing their plastic egg containers. I had planted their seeds March 11. I had two extra for the seedling exchange tomorrow.

Cucumber (planted seed April 7 & late April) and bell peppers planted near the cucumber teepee


Honey Yellow tomatoes, Brandywine tomatoes with Anaheim and Jalapeno pepper. To the planting hole for tomatoes and cucumbers I added about a tbsp of Gypsum which adds Calcium but should not alter PH. My measurements for PH are everywhere at this point. Originally I measured a neutral 7. Now, I get some 6.5 then I get a 5.5 and once a 5. I must be hitting chunks of things when I take the test. At this point I'm leaving it alone and let the worms work it out.

Eggplants planted after application of an Espoma Soil Acidifier.The PH readings here range between 5.8 and 7 after the application. I hope the PH will resolve itself in time for when the sweet potatoes arrive.
I decided to give up some of my swiss chard and collard green space to plant more chile and bell peppers.

PH READINGS - ROW1(Eggplants & Sweet Potatoes): 5.8 thru 7 ROW2(Tomatoes & Cucumbers): 5 thru 7 ROW3 (Zuchini & Roma): 6.5 thru 7 ROW4(Collard Greens & Herbs): 6.5 thru 7

No comments:

Post a Comment