Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Thunderstorms and Spiders

Today within 2 hours we received over 2 inches of rain and we're expecting even more rain. I'm hoping this translates to greener leaves and better tomatoes in the garden. In the last couple of days there has been an increase in the variety of insects in the garden. Some red mites on the Brandywine tomato leaves one day was followed by the appearance of cobwebs and spiders the next. I'm thinking the straw provides a good home for predator (beneficial) insects. The swallowtail caterpillar is missing from his favorite dill plant and to my relief he is not on the adjacent collard greens; I didn't want to have to touch him, it's kinda gross.



Harvested today: Salad Bowl Lettuce, Baby Butterhead Lettuce, 2 Kohlrabi bulbs (which are now pickling in the fridge) and enough Kohlrabi leaves and Collard Green leaves for omelets.

No comments:

Post a Comment