Thursday, October 23, 2014

Bug Problems

The biggest thing I learned this growing season is to allow nature to take it's course in most cases. In most cases if I saw a pest if I looked hard I would also find an insect that fed upon it. I let the praying mantis and ladybugs do what they could. The greens (swiss chard & collards) however needed a helping dose of neem oil spray. A spray now and then usually repelled the wrong sort of bugs from attacking their leaves.
Caterpillar feeding on Dill

An eggplant that did not survive the onslaught of black flea beetles that attacked early in the season. A spray of neem oil repelled enough beetles to allow several to grow.

Once the plants got big enough, the neem oil spray was not necessary. They survive regardless of the visible holes in the leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment