Monday, March 17, 2014

Takoma Park Community Garden



 Today my roma tomatoes (determinate) and brandywine tomatoes (indeterminate) decided to poke out of their seed. I used plastic egg cartons to grow them from seed with Mosser Lee moss seed soil.



The seeds in the right egg carton still haven't come up; they are eggplant and bell peppers.


Brandywine tomatoe seedling

Here's a picture of my planned garden layout. It will definitely change because I want to grow some tristar strawberries. I have a 9 foot by 20 foot plot that butts up next to my neighbor. Initially it had two long rows about 4 feet wide and 20 feet long with a small 1 foot wide walkway down the center. There was no walkway separating me from my neighbor. I changed it to allow for me to access all my veggies if  and when I get pregnant. =) I decided to make them 3 feet wide because 1.5 feet is what I can reach easily. The walkways I added to maximize the planting space and give me enough room to garden. I decided to put the one walkway on the right to give some room between my neighbor and I.


2 comments:

  1. What's the difference between determinate and indeterminate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally realized I had comments on this blog... Determinate means it's a bushy tomato that grows like 3 or 4 feet tall. Indeterminate means it's a vine and grows longer than that and is not really a bush... Roma tomatoes are determinate; Brandwine tomatoes are indeterminate.

    ReplyDelete